Cranford Clay Courts Club
A Lighted Clay Courts Club!

The Cranford Clay Courts were originally a part of The Cranford Canoe Club, one of several canoeing clubs popular from 1870 to the 1920s. Cranford was then a small rural hamlet growing from a population of 800 to 1500. People visited from New York and Brooklyn with many establishing summer homes here. With its numerous parks and a river meandering through it, Cranford became an idyllic place for leisure recreation ... especially canoeing, swimming and tennis.

The clay courts attracted numerous excellent players including the legendary Bill Tilden who won major national and international tournaments during his career. He was the first American to win Wimbledon in 1920 and again in 1921 and 1930. One of the best players of all time, Bill Tilden was named outstanding athlete for the first half of the 20th century.

The courts were run by the town for several decades. Local tennis players were given the opportunity in 1992 to lease the courts and create a private club, which was organized as the Cranford Clay Courts Club. Open April through November, weather permitting, the Cranford Clay Courts Club draws its members from Cranford and a number of surrounding towns. The Club is privileged to be one of the few "soft" court Clubs with a lighting system for night play.

We are a "Neighborhood Friendly Facility," please remember:
  • Lights must be off by 10:00 pm during the week.
  • NO lights on Sundays.